Friday, October 19, 2012

It's a Cecret


Holding hands on the trail. So cute! Their pockets are completely full of
rocks that they've picked up along the trail so they can throw them in the lake.
We took Tagg and Sloane on their first "official" hike to Cecret Lake which is just above Alta Ski Resort. It's fairly easy, just a half mile each way although there is a good little uphill bit at the end.
Scott's pockets are also full of rocks.
Gorgeous day for a hike with kids, especially when they want to hold hands.
It was a little colder than we expected. It was supposed to be about 60 degrees but at 10am and that high up in the mountains, it was...cold. The temp gauge in the car read 36 degrees! Glad we had sweatshirts and tissues. But really, it didn't feel that cold. It felt more like 60-ish, especially in the sunshine.

Family photo courtesy of the self-timer, rapid fire camera and a fairly flat rock. Not to mention my awesome rock-running skills. Oh, and the incredible scenery. How gorgeous is this place?! So peaceful and quiet. Shocking that you can find this kind of serenity and beauty just a half-hour from our house. It really made us aware that we need to take advantage of the natural playground that we live so close to, and make sure that our kids appreciate the mountains and adventure.

And the reality check. This is what it looked like from my side of the camera. Total chaos. While I was trying to prop the camera up on twigs and stones so we could all be in the photo and the camera wouldn't tip over while I was dashing over rocks to jump in the photo, Scott was wrangling Sloane who wanted to dive into the 40 degree glacier lake water and Tagg wanted nothing more than to GET DOWN and go throw all those rocks into the pristine mirror-like water.
But we got a few amazing photos, and even more amazing memories. After we carried both kids on our shoulders down the last half of the hike, we asked them what they thought. 

Sloane: I like hiking. Can we go again? 

Tagg: I'm a really good hiker. Can you carry these rocks for me to throw in the lake next time? (holding another huge handful of rocks)

Sloane: (seeing a squirrel dart across the trail and jet up a pine tree) Can I hold it? I want to hold it.

Me: If you can catch it, you can hold it. 

Tagg: (throwing rocks at the ice-covered stream) DAD! I broke it. I let the water free!

Amazing day...we're hooked!

No comments: