Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Easter Sweets

Easter morning looked a little warmer and sunnier than it actually was, but even a little chilly sunshine was definitely better than the snow we had on Friday. Yeah. Snow...in April. Sloane and Tagg were jazzed about hunting for the eggs they had dyed a few days before (that was a perfect mess!), for the Easter bunny to come and, mostly, for candy. Candy, candy, candy! It was all they talked about for days. Think we've lost the true meaning of Easter? Not if it's CANDY!
Yes, I'm a horrible mother. I made both kids wear these ridiculous rabbit ears for about 5 minutes in exchange for a Kodak moment...and candy. Tagg has obviously figured out how to pay me back...by giving me his fakest smile for the picture. In case you're wondering, this was the good one.
Sloane and Tagg hunting for eggs at Nana and Papa's. They did a really good job of finding all the eggs and Tagg was really cute about sharing his loot with Sloane. Next year we'll probably actually have to "hide" the eggs, as opposed to just setting them out on the lawn. We're already worried we're going to forget where we put them all so simple is good!
We only had one egg fatality. That one got stepped on. I've never seen a hard-boiled egg look like that. Tagg says, "Mommy...this one is yours." Thanks, buddy.
The paparazzi (Aunt Tiff) were following both kids to document the day.
The paparazzi did not, however, notice that Nana, Papa and the kids were trying to take cute photos while blinded by the incredibly bright sun. We took about 20 pictures like this, with the squinting and the grimaces before we thought...hey! what if we don't stare directly into the sun? That might be easier. And more attractive. In the meantime, all of them especially poor Tagg were nearly in pain. Hey, it was early! We figured it out.
See? This photo? Much better! I'm biased but I think we're a pretty cute little family! Especially when we're not blinded by the sun.
After brunch and the egg hunt, we headed over to the playground - completely disrupting some family's Easter festivity. (hey, you put a bunch of plastic eggs full of candy out on a playground, some other kids might try to take them...it happens) Our little daredevil, Sloane...she must have climbed this ladder 25 times to get to the slides. Take the safe stairs? No way. No spotter while perched 6 feet above ground? Didn't matter. She has no fear and loves a challenge. Tagg, on the other hand, was running laps around the playground yelling "See how fast I am!"
Happy Easter, cousins! The family skype-ing with Brooke and Canyon in Seattle. Can't believe how grown up they are and always wish we could be really together for the holidays, and every days. But happy that we have technology to keep us close.
The kids were kind enough to sit still for about 1 minute to get their photo taken. They were all squirmy and silly in every snap...except for Kayla who was, consistent. I don't think she bought my "work it, girl, gimmee a smile" at all. Or maybe she's scowling at Scott who was jumping up and down behind me like a monkey trying to get four smiles at one time. Either way, hilarious.

My masterpiece! Someone said "bring dessert" so I got all Pinterest-y and Tagg and I made Easter chocolate cupcake nests with little M&M candy eggs. I even used my frosting decoration bag thingie with the fancy tips - for the first time. And then I had leftover frosting so we made an angel food cake, and then loaded it up with so much frosting it got all lopsided. More chocolate M&M eggs ...and it still needed something. So I hacked the legs off Sloane's chocolate Easter bunny and popped him in the middle. Perfection! Bunnies (chocolate, not live) WERE harmed in the making of this cake.
Best gift of the day? And I'm talking about a gift competition that included Star Wars figurines, a Dora doll, toothbrushes and toothpaste (serious about that), new PJs, a bunch of darling clothes, and aforementioned candy. Nope. Winner, hands down - Bubbles. 99 cent bubbles. Auntie Leese has this thing dialed in!

I jest about the candy and the gifts and stuff, but the best part of this holiday, any holiday, is our family. Being able to share these special occasions and traditions and love with such special and wonderful people who are our family and our friends and our everything...that's really, really amazing. There is nothing sweeter.

No comments: