Thursday, June 26, 2008

180 Miles in 28 Hours!

June 20th and 21st, twelve of us - and almost 7,000 other crazy people on 520 teams - embarked on an overnight relay race from Logan to Park City. The race is called the Wasatch Back and each person runs 3 legs that total between 12 and 20 miles. We slept for about an hour on the floor of a high school gym - yikes!, ran up hills and down hills (thanks Ian, Jody, Derk, Jayme, Ana and Sam for doing the hard stuff!), ran in the blistering 90 degree heat and the 40 degree see-your-breath cold. Tiffany and I agreed it was the craziest thing we've ever done and that it was pretty cool! Ana did a great job of organizing everything, including the fabulous wig costumes for the final team run in! Lori, Brett, JR, Brad, Derk and Jayme made an awesome pit crew for all of the runners. There were a bunch of great costumes, hysterically decorated vans, absolutely incredible scenery, and so many super supportive people along the way, especially the kids with the hoses and squirt guns. I think we almost went hoarse from woo-hoo'ing so much! I was very proud that I was able to post a personal best on my 5K leg at 9 o'clock at night (28:58) and still managed to shave 6 minutes off my beastly hill run at the end. Overall a very fun, crazy time!! Highly recommend it!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You ran that?!? Congratulations! I volunteered (i did not run!!) at exchange 33. It was a crazy uphill. You are so awesome, that is a tough race.